I’m hoping you love it as much as I do.
I think it’s pretty cool looking and it solved a pesky design dilemma in our Media Room.
If you look closely, behind that lamp shade on the sofa table what do you see?
Don’t be fooled any more. The wall between the two sides of the room is empty.
I was completely perplexed on what should go here until I decided on a large wall clock.
And then I was on a mission to make a clock without spending a lot of money. And this is why I’m so excited. I did just that!
Want one for your own blank wall? Or maybe over a fireplace? I know you’ve got a spot.
Follow me along on this clock journey, won’t you?
Start with gluing the two pieces of each hoop with wood glue. You will need to unscrew the wing nut at the top to get them to separate.
Then put the hoops back together and tighten the wing nut back so it’s good an tight.
I honestly don’t think this step is vital, but I thought the wood glue would add some stabilty since this was the base of the clock.
Once the glue was dry, I removed the tightening mechanism on the smaller hoop. I had some reservations on whether or not this would work, but it did fine.
I just placed the hoop on the side of my work bench and carefully whacked it with a rubber mallet. The staples holding it in place came out easily with some pliers.
I choose to leave the larger hoop tightener because I liked the way it looked. It was a nod to what the clock is made of and it also kind of reminded me of the winding mechanism on a pocket watch.
I decided to fill the seam of the tightener with some wall spackle and then sanded it when it was dry for a more finished look.
I primed all the pieces with black primer. It’s what I had on hand and my final color was going to be navy. I thought it was a better choice than white.
Next, I moved on to assembly. This is where things got a little more tricky. Trial and error was definitely used. 😉
I started with the a small dowel and cut all the pieces to fit in between the embroidery hoops. After fitting it all together in a dry run, I realized that a thicker dowel would make this whole process a lot easier.
Trust me on this, I had the little pieces of dowel resting on nuts. It was a little ridiculous.
After another trip to the craft store, I primed and cut the thicker dowel, now 5/8 of an inch, to the sizes I needed to fit between the hoops and hold them together.
I chose to use wood glue to assemble the pieces.